Saturday, February 3, 2007

It's the Final Countdown

Cue that awesome Europe hit song!

The release date for Harry Potter and the Amazing Technicolor Invisibility Cloak Deathly Hallows is July 21. I was rather…er, troubled by the way the last book ended [SPOILER ALERT! READ NO FURTHER IF YOU DO NOT WANT TO KNOW THE ENDING OF BOOK 6!]—Dumbledore’s death seems to show that he was wrong to place faith in Snape, which in turn suggests that redemption is impossible. It didn’t bother me that Dumbledore died, but it was the way he died: as a sucker.

Since Book 6 was obviously setting the stage for Book 7, I was willing to suspend judgment. I can see a couple ways of making Dumbledore’s death more palatable, but I can’t see how any of them would be satisfying or not a deus ex machina. So, I’ll be interested, and a bit worried, to see what Rowling does.

Here’s a lengthy blog post full o’ predictions for HPADH.

Here’s your Final Countdown fix. Watch, and shudder as ye behold what musical abominations the Swedish welfare state hath wrought.

1 comment:

blakbuzzrd said...

I was relieved to see that Dumbledore died like the chump I always believed him to be.

I don't think Snape betrayed him -- I think Snape's anger in that scene is frustration at having to keep a promise to sacrifice DD for the sake of the chirrens.

But it would be cool if he did actually betray him. Snape gone bad! Er, again.

P.S. Don't use strikethrough tags. They just make you look smarmy, It'nam.