Monday, June 25, 2007

West Coast is No Longer the Best Coast

As Watoosa has reported, we arrived in Portland on Wednesday of last week. Unfortunately, our stuff was still in California at that time, which pretty much ensured that we'd have to wait through the weekend to get it. They now tell us they'll deliver it today after lunch, but I'll believe it when I see it.

It's been weird camping out in our own living room. We feel very disconnected from the rest of the world with no radio, TV, newspaper, or internet (I'm in the public library now). Luckily, we've got our computer, which means we can play the occasional video, and we brought a few books.

I've also been working through a Chess book that blakbuzzrd recommended: How to Beat Your Dad at Chess . I think it's already improved my game (which means I've gone from "Execrably Awful" to "Consistently Embarassing"). But it does have one serious drawback. When it shows an example (and it's filled with them), it either indicates "Black Moves" or "White Moves." The problem with the latter is that it sounds a lot like the title of that Bob Seger song, "Night Moves," which means the chorus from that craptastic ditty involuntarily plays in my head, and there seems to be nothing I can do to prevent it. Man, I already had a pretty strong aversion to Seger and his oeuvre, but now I hate that #@%*ing song like poison. And I'm only about three-fifths of the way through the book. Seriously, it's slowly driving me insane.

2 comments:

Phil K. said...

CC, I'd love to play you sometime. I spent the night with Matthew at his new home in China Spring and we played about five games. He was outmaneuvering me all over the place and I just felt mentally weak--got beat all 5 Xs.

I've got to get some opening moves memorized so I can gain some kind of advantage. I always play with the Black chess pieces so I guess I'm willing myself to a handicap.

Tactics, tactics, tactics. that's what I need to learn.

Hope you don't get rug-burn, sleeping on the floor.

Anonymous said...

Hi,

Welcome to Portland. Good luck on your prof. position. From your wife's blog, it seems you live near the cemetery on Stevens Avenue. We just bought a house on Stevens a few blocks north of the cemetery. You will enjoy the real suburban feel of the neighborhood yet quickly realize that it's only 10-15 minutes to downtown. And the restaurants all over Portland are just first-rate. I look forward to reading your respective blogs.