Friday, April 27, 2007

Time Magazine: "Metaphysicians are Pseudophilosophers"

Some of my best friends are metaphysicians. Earlier today I read about their secret society: the Royal Fraternity of Master Metaphysicians. The article is here.

A quotation:

At the Royal Fraternity's headquarters, the Forum of Truth and the Center of Peace (a fairish-sized lecture room) in Manhattan's Steinway Hall. Mr. Schafer delivers four talks a week. Truth Students become Master Metaphysicians after studying more than a year and a half.

What they study is far from clear, but the Royal Fraternity's creed might be described as a theological goulash of Rosicrucianism, Christian Science, Christianity, Supermind Science, faith healing and How to Win Friends and Influence People.

First of all, I always looked up to metaphysics guys for doing something hard. No one told me how easy it was to become a Master Metaphysician! And here I am writing a dissertation in political philosophy, like a chump.

Then again, the next two sentences make me suspect that the quality of instruction might not be up to par:

As to the number of middle-aged ladies he has attracted, "the Christian Science Church doesn't publish the number of its membership," says Mr. Schafer; "Why should we?" However: "Our organization is unorganized. You can't define a thing like that."

Bonus tidbit: the last sentence of the article uses the racial epithet "darky" in referring to another cult. This freaked me out, until I saw that it was published in 1938. Still, what’s up with that, Time Magazine?

Extra bonus tidbit: I actually read about Little Father Divine about three weeks ago. I had watched a mesmerizing documentary about the Jonestown massacre (that was some seriously messed up stuff, by the way), and came across FD when I looked up Jim Jones on the web. I even watched footage of him on Youtube. Things like that make me suspect I'm in the matrix.

No comments: