Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Book Report

I know that writing about books is Watoosa's gig, but here's what I've been reading this summer (for fun, as opposed to dissertation/class prep), in no particular order.

1. Passarola Rising, by Azhar Abidi. A Jules Verne-esque adventure story that also features light philosophical explorations of the challenge to ecclesiastical authority that early modern science posed (although I think that challenge was more acute in the seventeenth century). It's fiction, but the protagonists were historical figures--one of them invented a working airship years before balloons were used for flight. It's a fun read, and I read the whole thing in a day.

2. Water for Elephants, by Sara Gruen. A pretty absorbing tale of life in a third-rate circus in the 1930's, a life that was pretty rough. The protagonist recounts his story as an old man, and the narrative shifts between his recollection and his present experiences in an assisted-living home. The latter is what I found especially affecting, as he is constantly patronized and infantilized, and therefore dehumanized. I can't think of another book (or film, for that matter) that portrays old age so vividly. You can read Watoosa's review here.

3. Whales on Stilts, by M. T. Anderson. A completely silly--and hilarious--novella for junior readers. It blithely blurs the line between fiction and reality, and it is populated with characters from children's lit of earlier generations who keep all the idiosyncrasies of their eras, even though it takes place in the present. For example, one of the main characters is Jasper Dash, Boy Technonaut, whose books Anderson read as a kid. He wears knickers and uses exclamations like "Jupiter's Moons!" unironically. He's also so earnest, industrious, and upright that he makes model Boy Scouts look like slackers and scoundrels. It's one of the funniest books I've read in a long time. The follow-up is The Clue of the Linoleum Lederhosen, which is not quite as funny, but still worth reading. These books are completely different from Anderson's Octavian Nothing, which is one of the best books I've read in the past year. It's hard to believe they came from the same author.

4. Lieutenant Hornblower, by C. S. Forester. A ripping tale of life in the Royal Navy, wonderfully told. All the Hornblower stories are great entertainment, as are the A&E film versions. This one was especially fun, since it features mutiny against a crazed captain. I've also been listening to an audiobook version of Patrick O'Brian' Master and Commander, which I'm enjoying, but I'm still partial to Forester.

5. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, by J. K. Rowling. We saved money by getting a Chinese-pirated version for two bucks. This was a HUGE disappointment. Granted, I thought it was a bold choice to make Ron gay, but when Voldemort slices off Harry's hand and says, "No, Harry... I am your father!" I just gave up.

6. The Ladies of Grace Adieu, by Susannah Clarke. A collection of stories in the same vein as her wonderful novel, Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell. Clarke mixes English legends and ghost stories with nineteenth century "society" lit in a way that is utterly unique. I describe it as a mix of Edgar Allan Poe and Jane Austen, but that doesn't do her work justice. I liked Jonathan Strange a bit more, but Ladies is well worth reading, too. I'm eager to see what Clarke does next. Also, I wish I could add an extraneous "e" to my name like the Clarkes and Brownes of the world.

7. The Chinatown Death Cloud Peril, by Paul Malmont. The characters of this book are the great pulp writers from the early twentieth century. One of them is a young upstart named Ron Hubbard (sound familiar?). I've just started it, so I can't say yet whether I like it or not, but it struck me as an interesting idea for a novel.

No comments: