Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Fun with Visuo-Cognitive Stimuli of the Frontal Cortex

Here's a quick experiment you can try right at your computer. Click on this page and watch the video (it's only about 15 seconds). It features two teams--one dressed in white and the other in black--throwing basketballs around. See if you can accurately count the number of successful passes that the white team makes. Then look in the comment section on this page to check your answer.

UPDATE: Make sure you do the test before looking at the comments. If you don't, you'll only be cheating yourself!

8 comments:

Ickenham said...

The number of catches isn't the point. Did you see the gorilla walk across the stage? If not, watch it again. I tried this on Watoosa, and it worked--she didn't see it until I told her to look for it on the second viewing.

TP said...

CAC,

That's great! But you GOTTA put a spoiler warning at the top of your comment. I read it before I watched the video, and so I didn't do what I was supposed to do.

Tim P. (Not Timpe)

Unknown said...

Here-here, Tim P.

Timpe.

Ickenham said...

The directions CLEARLY state that you're supposed to try the test BEFORE looking at the comments section. Can't you read?

Unknown said...

Given my RSS-feeder, it sometimes shows me both the content and the comments when it delivers your new posts. So take your blame somewhere else! :)

Ickenham said...

I withdraw my snarky comment.

Josh said...

Ok, so I saw the gorilla (I was all like "move, gorilla, I'm trying to count white team passes!") & I counted 15 passes by the white team. Was I right?

Were you just trying to pull a funny with this post, or was this actually a test of anything?

Gullible minds want to know!!

Ickenham said...

No, it's actually a test. Most people, if they don't know about the gorilla, don't see it b/c they're focusing on the white team.

Try it out on someone who doesn't know about the gorilla!