Monday, October 1, 2007

In-class Embarassment, part II

Last April I wrote about my worst nightmare coming true. I'm happy to report that I have doubled my vigilance on that front, and there have been no more incidents of that kind.

So the good news is that my worst nightmare has yet to come true again, but the bad news is that something even worse than that occurred today. In my Modern Philosophy class, we were discussing sense perception. I had decided to use the whiteboard to illustrate what's going on when we have a visual perception of an object.

Now, my drawing skills are what prompted the coining of the term "ham-fisted." It's not unusual to hear snickering from my students as they watch me scribbling stick figure persons in front of them, and today was no exception. Then, one of my students mentioned that there are scientific devices that allow us to monitor brain activity associated with perception. So I decided to draw such a device pointed at the stick person.

No sooner had I finished this masterpiece than I realized the device looked remarkably like a giant man's naughty part. The snickering was replaced by what I took to be shocked silence and looks of disbelief.

"Uh..." I said.

"This looks a little...offensive. Let's erase it and just imagine a scientific device that can monitor brain activity, shall we?"

There were no objections.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ickie drew a wanker.... Ickie drew a wanker...

Is it better to draw a "giant man's naugty part" or a "man's giant naugty part"? Speaking of sense perception, what would be the perceptual difference?

Ickenham said...

I don't know. I don't like to think about that.

Karen and Sean said...

Chris, really, "naughty part(s)"? What are you, 12?! I thought if you have to use a euphemism, the body part is obvious enough to allow for really creativity. Like "whacker-whacker." Or "Little Engine That Could." Or, "Nina, Pinta, and Santa Maria."

hayumbone said...

Chris, I laughed considerably on reading this. And not on the inside, either.