Thursday, February 28, 2008

I'm Not Nearly as Special as I'd Like to Think I Am

One highlight (out of many) from the trip to California: I met someone who seems to have largely followed my life trajectory. During the conference, he introduced himself to the group as someone who does work in political philosophy and ethics, with a particular interest in issues concerning citizenship. That's pretty much how I describe myself, too, so I decided to introduce myself. In the course of our conversation, I discovered we had the following things in common:

1. We both grew up in north Alabama.
2. We both grew up Southern Baptist.
3. He went to Samford for one year, and ended up earning a degree from UAH. I went to UAH for one year, and I ended up earning a degree from Samford.
4. He married a Samford alum, and so did I.
5. He got his Ph. D. from Vanderbilt. As a kid, I always intended to go to Vandy.
6. We both started off with an interest in American pragmatism, and then eventually shifted to analytic philosophy.
7. Our dissertations addressed similar topics, and we seem to have argued for similar positions.
8. Our dissertation advisors run in the same circles.
9. This year, he began his career at a Protestant college in Southern California. I just left a teaching position at a Protestant college in Southern California.

How many other people are out there that have lived pretty much the same life as you?

UPDATE: I forgot to add "10. We both have the same intials--C.C."

2 comments:

Phil K. said...

did he have a little tuft of hair on his head and a shorn face? just curious...

Ickenham said...

He wasn't as gorgeous as I am, if that's what you're getting at.