Monday, June 30, 2008

Question: Are You Ready for Some Football?

Answer: Yes. Yes I am.

I am so ready that I even stooped to watching a little bit of Remember the Titans, just so I could get a simulation of the real thing. For those of you who haven't seen it, Remember the Titans offers up about as much cinematic excellence as Clash of the Titans*. While RTT doesn't have the laughable not-so-special effects of COTT, it does feature little Hayden Panettiere, who turns in what has to be the most grating child performance since Jonathan Ke Quan annoyed the living crap out of America with his portrayal of Short Round in Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom.

And yet I put up with it, just to get a glimpse of some behelmeted lugs tackling each other. I blushed when Watoosa came back in the room, and I quickly changed the channel to public television and feigned interest in a somber discussion of the Fed's decision to lowering interest rates. But that shows you how hard up I am for some gridiron action, and there are still several weeks before even fall practice begins, let alone the first kickoff. I honestly don't know if I can make it.

Anyway, here's my prediction: Auburn will play in the BCS Championship Game either this year or the next or (most likely) both. You heard it here first. There's a good chance that Ohio State will reprise its role as SEC whipping boy, too, which will give me bragging rights over certain acquaintances of mine (you know who you are). War Eagle, y'all!

*Holy shnikies, IMDB says there's a remake of this stinkbomb due out in 2010!

6 comments:

Piers said...

for those of us here on Hawks Road, summer is a sports wasteland until August, when they fire up the football again. I feel thy pain.

Baseball doesn't count unless you're at the ballpark itself, and even then it's more about the hot dogs, peanuts, and beeeer.

Anonymous said...

Don't mess with my Buckeyes. They can only embarrass themselves so many times before they get it right.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, we know who we are.

I'd be willing to bet a 6-pack of your favorite brew that it's more likely that the Buckeyes will be the whipping boy than that Auburn will win the BCS.

Anonymous said...

You didn't fool me with your channel changing. I could hear Denzel being INSPIRATIONAL from the other room.

Greg said...

Laugh, laugh, guffaw! Your prediction cracks me up. Too bad you don't have the College Sports channel that replays SEC games almost every night. BTW, how is watoosa feeling? Baby must be close now!

Ickenham said...

We're exactly a month away from the due date, now. Watoosa's doing well, but she's getting ready to be not-pregnant, I think.