Monday, January 8, 2007

Football gloating

Since my friend Kevin has been talking smack about the Buckeyes, I'll just take this moment to say "Good on ya!" to the Buckeyes. It's not easy to submit to a Southern-style beatdown like that, not to mention on national television. It showed character when you decided to come back out for the second half. Really. And after 100+ years of football without beating an SEC team...well, you can always try again next year.

Tonight's game should put an end to some of the SEC bashing out there. It's true that the SEC is weak this year. Florida, the conference champion, won consistently but not flashily. Auburn and Georgia performed below expectations (although the Tigers managed to win 11 games and faced a lot of key injuries without an open date). Still, the SEC sent more teams to bowls this year, and it's the only major conference to have a winning bowl record (I'm not counting the Big East because they only played one ranked team), and two of our three losses were by a field goal.

To me, that says the SEC is the nation's toughest conference and the best--even in a down year. And I'll go ahead and congratulate myself and my other Auburn peeps on our being the one team that managed to beat the national champions this year. War Eagle!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Can someone please pass the crow? I think I need to eat a second helping.

Anonymous said...

You are just plain mean.

blakbuzzrd said...

Yeah. Florida shellacked the Buckeyes so hard I wondered if I was actually asleep and dreaming it.

But no, I was awake, and the Big Ten just suuuuuuuucks.