Friday, March 7, 2008

They Wish They Were the World

The most nauseatingly self-congratulatory song of the past few decades, recreated for a Japanese television show. Josh, can you give us some background on this curiosity?



Observations:

1. The Cyndi Lauper woman absolutely nails it.
2. I swear, the Stevie Wonder is played by Horatio Sanz.
3. The Michael Jackson amazingly looks more like a human being than Michael Jackson himself.
4. I must--repeat, MUST--have the red and white suit visible at 3:10. Easter is just around the corner.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

LOVE IT!

Unknown said...

That is absolutely hilarious. I think I like the Springsteen impersonator the best. He does that pained look so well.

Phil K. said...

didn't you mean "Shin-dee Roh-pah?" I mean....that video reminds me of how anachronistic Cindy Lauper remains. Most all the other performers are damn-near legends of their craft. Lauper was just an 80s hack. Arguably, "Rih-nal d'Reechee" was too.

If you cut out the audience members, you'd almost swear that it was a performance of people pretending to be mentally handicapped pretending to be celebrities. I calls 'em likes I see's 'em.

Josh said...

Ah, yes, an impressively typical example of television entertainment in Japan. It (television programming) is one of MANY things that you'd think wouldn't be SO FAR from our version but, oh my golly gosh, it IS!! So the people whose reactions they show are a panel of "celebrities" (which in Japan typically is a jack-of-all-trades person that sings, dances, acts, etc) & at least a few of which are always comedians (which often appeal to a very physical comedic sensibility, versus wit or cleverness).

And, of course, the affinity for karaoke in Japan probably doesn't need to be mentioned, but surely factors into this particular performance. This type of programming is definitely an amusement to me but not something I'd ever want to watch often.