Friday, March 21, 2008

U2 3D

Last night, Watoosa and I caught the final showing of U2 3D in the area. I had been eager to see it after reading the NY Times review, but I assumed it would be coming to Portland. Apparently I was wrong. Luckily, I happened to check listings for a theater 2o miles away.

Unfortunately, we didn't get to see it in IMAX, but it was in 3D, and it was amazing. The last time I saw something in 3D--the 2007 re-release of The Nightmare Before Christmas--the effect was pretty negligible (although Watoosa seemed more affected by it). I was hoping that this film would work better, and I was more than satisfied. Although some of the images challenged my eye focus a bit, most of the time it was like watching a performance in person.

Only it was better than that, because the multiple cameras swoop over the crowd and hover over the band, and the editors blend and manipulate images with wild abandon. I was mesmerized, and fully sucked in. Early on, during a low shot from the crowd's perspective, I got annoyed for a couple seconds at a few hands obscuring my view of the stage--I thought someone in the seat in front of me was getting too carried away. Then I realized that those hands were in the film, and I remembered that Watoosa and I were the only ones in the theater.

If it's still showing in your town, pay the higher ticket prices and see it on the biggest screen you can find. It's worth it for the first encore alone.

3 comments:

Phil K. said...

I read a Wired (magazine) review of this, a few months back and we caught it the very first weekend it was showing in Dallas (IMAX & 3D).

Absolutely incredible. It could be considered better, in many respects, to actually having a front-row seat at a live concert. Namely, saving $130 and not having to get bumped into or feeling squished the whole time. The exception, I guess, would be if you had an unruly seat-mate at an IMAX showing.

Great stuff, though. We had a blast.

The Keffer's said...

Amen.

T and I caught it w/neighbors, who are rabid U2 fans, on an Imax screen the wkend it came out. We weren't the only people in the theater. The only thing that would have made the experience better was if others besides me in the audience were singing along.

We saw u2 in cleveland on this tour, but still thought u23d was well worth the money for 1 or 2 viewings.

Unknown said...

I believe everthing you say here, except that you saw U2. I know that what you really saw was this 3D concert .